Monday, October 01, 2007

A Word of Encouragement

For some days now, up until this past week, I have been greatly discouraged and wondering what my ministry is really worth. With the problems at church, and some of our own personal problems I just sometimes wonder.

As I was driving home from picking up kids on the School Bus I was listening to the Christian Radio station I have on in the car, and they played a song which picked me up and made me do some thinking. The words of the course go something like this, and I am doing this from memory: "I choose to believe You are faithful, that grace is in Your hand. This mystery that I face today is part of a greater plan. I choose not to be discouraged when the sun does not break through, I've made the choice of choosing You", and of course this is addressed to God and His Son.

I really want the words of the song. It is titled "I Choose", and I don't know the group who does it either. It is such a wonderful song which puts the thoughts on the Father and His Son rather than our situation in life.

It seems that discouragement is so easy. It doesn't take much to get me anyway, and I don't need that junk. I say "Junk", because that is what discouragement really is is J.U.N.K. Someone once said, "Discouragement is from the devil", and that is for certain. It is especially true for the Christian. The devil doesn't want us living in victory, and courage; so he does whatever he can to bring us down.

The next time I sense a bout of discouragement; I will redirect my thinking to the One who has all those matters in His hand. Join me in courage in the Lord Jesus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro. Tim: my heart goes out to you. truly. so many times in my husband's ministry we felt like you write tonite. so many problems came at us in all directions while we were serving churches. Today we are not in a church as pastor. but we see the heartache and struggles of pastors from everywhere. it is so disheartening to see brothers attacking brothers on the internet.

And where do we go for encouragement when our members are not receptive to God's Spirit? May I encourage you that God is right here, right now. and no, the ministry is not always worth it. But your Savior is worth it. And someday He will say "well done, my good and faithful servant."

I am praying for you and yours. selahV

Tim A said...

Thanks SelahV for the prayers. I really do appreciate it.
Mine are for you and your husband as you do ministry for the glory of the Lord.
T.A.