Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Plowing Along

Many have heard someone say, "I am just plowing along", meaning, of course, that they are struggling along with life, but they are progressing. That is not what I mean by the title.
I did something on Monday April 09, 2007 that I had not done in many years. First of all I rode the old farm tractor that I ran into a tree when I was a boy of about twelve years of age. That is right - I ran it into a tree, or maybe I should say, it rolled into a tree after I jumped off to catch my horse or something, and I did not set the brake, and it ran into a tree. It was a brand new tractor at the time. That is not what this is about though.
The reason for riding the tractor was to take it to the old home place where my father grew up, and plow the old garden spot. My Dad told me several months ago that he would like for the family to have a garden spot down at the old house, and nothing was ever done about it. So, I was setting out to do something about it. With my brother Steven's help, we got the tractor and plow ready, and then, I headed over there.
It was a little tough plowing a little piece of ground that had not been plowed in probably thirty five years or more. Old fescue roots build up in that sod, and just make it plumb tough. I don't believe I did a very good job. It had been twenty five years or more since I had plowed anything. The old tractor has no power steering, never did, and it is harder to steer now than it ever was.
Anyway when I returned home I was really tuckered out. I did not do anything all evening. We will be planting some things there soon. Now some reading this may think, "Shouldn't things have been planted already?" Most usually, yes. This year; NO! We have had a freeze the past week. The first week of April has been quite damaging to the things that came out and bloomed. This freeze has even set the oaks back some for sure. So NO! We are in good shape for planting a garden.
Until next time.
Tim A.

No comments: