Saturday, April 12, 2008

Missed the Wading This Time

We received a whole lot of rainfall this past Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. When I woke to prepare myself for the day, and to go and drive the School Bus morning run I wondered if I would be able to cross our low water bridges below our home. I waited until it was time to go to check it out, and the rain kept pouring down out of the skies.

After I had tended to my devotional reading and prayer, tended my blogs, and took my morning dose of medicine [at least some of it] I got in the car and headed down our washed out driveway to the main road. When I arrived there I could see the water was rolling quite rapidly across the bridge, and was almost whitecapping. I pulled the front of our car into the edge of it, sat there and looked at it, thought about crossing, then I decided not to attempt it. Attempting it was what I did not want to be successful at. Attempts without successful crossing happens to far too many people. One local TV station in Springfield, and one of their Meteorologist has a saying concerning water across roadways, "Turn around, don't drown", so that is exactly what I did.

I then, turned around and went to see how the other side looked, and it was worse. I had already called into the Bus Garage and told them I could not get out. The one mechanic at the Garage who is familiar with where I live said, "I was afraid of that". That is the first time in almost two years we have lived here that I could not get out, when I wanted out. There has been a time or two I could not drive the car back to the house because of high water, but I could cross on foot by wading.

The water from all the rainfall we have been getting has nowhere to go now. The ground is soaked to the point of being like a sponge in some places, and you sink in the ground as you walk across it.

I don't want anyone to take me wrong in this writing. I am not complaining about all the rain. I actually find it adventurous, and something new. I do feel for those whose homes and lives have been drastically changed because of it. I am sure they find no adventure in any of it. Many of these homes are far above flood stage, and no one ever suspected that they would ever be flooded, but now they have been. We really just never know. I do remember the rainbow.

I am thankful that I MISED THE WADING THIS TIME.

-by Tim A. Blankenship

No comments: